Lincoln United 2 Stocksbridge PS 1

By: Dave Rhodes

It was back on the road again for Steels as they travelled to top six side Lincoln United. Steels will be confident of gathering a positive result after the squad has showed good improvement and momentum of late.

Glorious September sun welcomed the players onto the pitch.

For the third game in a row Steels conceded a goal early in the game when a flat back four was caught out by a simple long ball, Todd Jordan was caught cold down the left side channel, out muscled by the impressive Kevin Hermigou the Lincoln centre forward. Hermigou scuffed a tame right footed effort from just inside the box which crept underneath the diving Greaves. 1 nil down after 3 minutes and again Steels were up against it The pitch was disappointing hard, sparse and bobbly and this made for mistakes and control issues.

Hermigou was a real handful for the Steels back four but Jordan was determined to redeem himself and did so on numerous occasions as long balls were knocked forward, dealing with them expertly. The young Steels side rallied with terrific spirit, good passing and offensive movement, despite the poor surface, but couldn’t break down an efficient and experienced Lincoln unit.

On 25 minutes Coleman replaced the injured Mangham.

A Rhodes snap shot from 18 yards was hit straight at Emery the home goalkeeper who saved comfortably, Ruthven and Moxam went close with shots on the turn but frustratingly, defenders blocked their efforts.

On 44 minutes a rare venture forward from the home side caused panic in the away penalty box as both Turner and Jordan got in the way with last ditch defending.

HT Lincoln Utd 1-0 SPS

Again Steels were caught cold early, when a whipped in left wing cross was met by Norris on 52 minutes 6 yards out, but although connecting with the ball well crashed his header onto the bar when it was easier to score. A let off for Steels.

On 60 minutes Steels were deservedly back on level terms. Brad Beatson was both impressive and influential down the left and didn’t put a foot wrong all game really. His cross was turned for a corner as Steels pressed forward. The corner taken by Coleman wasn’t cleared and McFadyen was on hand to flick the ball home from close range after a Wiles low shot.

Emery, the home goalkeeper, was certainly the busier of the two and saved well from Ruthven twice and Moxam at the near post. With the bit between their teeth Park Steels searched and probed for the second goal only to be thwarted by Emery.

The game headed into the last 5 minutes with a draw looking to be the best outcome but Steels tried to get the winner and continued to pile men forward, on 85 minutes Lincoln showed that they were not finished and picked off tired legs in the Steels 18 yard box.

Smith the Lincoln number two danced into the box going past two defenders down the right, he made a meal of slight contact from a steels defender and dived sideways, penalty given. One of those that could have gone either way. 2 – 1.

Lincoln saw out the game with solid defending and clearances as Park Steels hit long balls into the box.

Michael Emery the home goalkeeper had a good day, was named man of the match and that says it all really. Steels can take plenty of positives from the game, just need to tighten up defensively and keep working hard collectively.

Next up its Carlton Town on Tuesday 11th September

Full Time: Lincoln United 2 – 1 SPS

Earth, Wind and Fire


Eco-Power Environmental Stadium, 

Bracken Moor Lane, 


Sheffield, S36 2AN.                                                   

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon