Referee costs Steels again

Stocksbridge PS 1 Basford United 2

By Jordan Sheppard Photos: Peter Revitt

Steels welcomed back Brodie Litchfield who signed from Mickleover Sports on Thursday and was put straight into the starting lineup.

After a quiet start to the game Brodie Litchfield made his return to the Look Local Stadium known, he startled Basford's defence by trying a long range shot but Basford's Fabian Smith was on hand to remove the danger.

On the 6th minute a corner awarded to Basford, the corner was taken seconds before the referee blew his whistle, consequently captain Liam McFadyen thought the referee had stopped play and caught the ball, amazingly the referee, who eas surrounded by Basford players give a penalty.

Steels TV clearly shows the referee whistle while the ball is in the air. That decision lead to Ex Celtic and Mansfield striker Ben Hutchinson scoring from the spot to give the visitors an early lead.

At the 15 minute mark Steels could have drawn level, there was an error by Basford defender Lewis Carr which lead to a cheeky shot just outside the box from Scott Ruthven.

Moments later Steels had Corey Gregory to thank, for stopping 2 powerful volleys from Basford's Tyrelle Shannon-Lewis the ball eventually went out for a corner.

Ten minutes later the Steels had conceded again, an excellent goal from Basford midfielder Courey Grantham, who ran up the defence and shot from just outside the area, to give David Reay no chance.

Most of the first half gone the ball went to Brodie Litchfield by Nathaniel Crofts, Litchfield scouts out Crofts, Crofts sprints on the right wing but Basford's defence intercept Crofts and the Steels attack dissolves.

There was 3 minutes additional time at the end of the first half, In that time it was all systems go, Steels worked hard as a team and that paid off. Nathaniel Crofts received the ball down the left and after a good run cut inside and scored from just outside the area.

At half time it was Stocksbridge PS 1-2 Basford Utd.

Whatever Chris Hilton and the coaching staff said at halftime worked. Steels were a lot livelier. Brodie Litchfield received the ball on the Steels right, and after a good 25 yard run trys to scout out a player in the middle, unfortunately there was nobody there.

On 61 minutes Josh Meade showed he's more than a right back by belting a shot but it was saved by Ex Derby County and Republic of Ireland U21 goalkeeper Saul Deeney.

Basford, eager to keep there lead had good efforts from Kieran Wells and Ben Hutchinson but there shots were either saved by David Reay or went wide.

Overall not the best of days for Stocksbridge, but they definitely deserved at least a draw.


Eco-Power Environmental Stadium, 

Bracken Moor Lane, 


Sheffield, S36 2AN.                                                   

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon