Stocksbridge PS 3 Sheffield 2

Report: Dave Rhodes Photos: Chris Clancy

With both Steels and Sheffield Club failing to progress in the FA cup on Saturday it was back to league business and three points up for grabs. The contrast in weather from sun on Saturday to wind and showers on Monday will hopefully signify a contrast in lady luck for Steels as their recent performances surely deserve.

Again a brilliant home crowd turned out to support the team with a strong, blustery wind blowing down the ground. It was Steels who broke the deadlock via the penalty spot as early as the third minute when Ben Rhodes was bundled to the floor in the box. Scott Ruthven making no mistake driving the ball hard to Ross Durants right hand post giving the away keeper no chance.

With the wind in their faces Steels were defending well against a sequence of Sheffield corners but couldn’t pick up second balls when defenders were clearing lines and this was causing problems and giving the away side momentum going forward as Steels couldn’t keep possession.

On 10 minutes a free kick was awarded to the away side on the right side of the box and although a five man wall was set up Jamie Yates still scored an accurately struck shot into the far corner without Greaves moving. 1-1.

The wind was making life difficult for both sides as the ball was either miss-controlled or overhit. The game become a scrappy affair with no team really taking a foot hold but it was that man Moxam who was again Johnny on the spot. A free kick wide on the right was driven firmly into the area by Turner, the ball was partially cleared and Moxam pounced, volleying home cleanly from 12 yards.

HT SPS 2-1 Sheffield Club

It was 3 – 1 to Steels straight after the break when Mangham shot from 20 yards Durant saving but Moxam again on hand to slot the ball into the net from the rebound. Steels were working hard as a team and looked likely to extend the lead with numerous chances going begging.

Greaves made an important save with a strong hand to his left when Dunne looked favourite to score from close range on 70 minutes AS Sheffield rallied.

Tired and heavy legs were beginning to take its toll on the players after their exertions 2 days earlier.

75 minutes Rhodes off Coleman on

The excellent Tom Charlesworth was again on hand to sweep up when Sheffield looked to get into the last third.

80 min Whitham on Ruthven off.

Whitham made an immediate impact firstly hitting the post with a left footed scuffed shot from 15 yards then hitting Durant from 6 yards after neat build up play by Steels.

As the game went into the 93rd minute Sheffield were not giving up and was awarded a penalty when Greaves came out to take the ball but led with his legs tripping Dunne. The penalty was scored by the same player sending Greaves the wrong way.

On chances missed Steels should have been more comfortable but 3 points was the name of the game today.

FT SPS 3 – 2 Sheffield Club



Eco-Power Environmental Stadium, 

Bracken Moor Lane, 


Sheffield, S36 2AN.                                                   

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon