Stocksbridge PS 3 Loughborough Dynamo 2

Report: Dave Rhodes Photos: Pete Revitt

Stocksbridge PS entertain a Loughborough Dynamo side that sits comfortably in mid table but will be keen to add to their recent good form bringing them two wins from the last three games. But with two consecutive wins under their belt the confidence levels of the SPS squad is also high, giving supporters plenty to shout about as the squad strive to solidify league safety.

On a glorious spring day and with the Look Local stadium bathed in sunshine both teams worked hard to gain the initiative during the early exchanges.

Steels gave away an unnecessary free kick near the corner flag on ten minutes, the resulting dead ball delivery was whipped in hard, low and to the front post where Carl Sibson, the Loughborough centre back lost his marker, stooped low with a glancing header that sped past the helpless David Robson the Steels keeper.

But what a response by Steels on eleven minutes. The industrious Luke Mangham drove into the box down the left side as play was built up after the restart crossing the ball low into the path of Alex Wiles, who expertly swept the ball home at the near post, left footed from six yards.

After such an eventful start to the match the game settled and became an attractive proposition as the teams tried to get the ball down and play. The front two of Loughborough were a handful but were well marshalled by the excellent McFadyen Fielding combination. Steels were dealt a real blow on 25 minutes when Loughborough retook the lead. It was a disappointing goal to give away as Steels failed to defend properly from a routine throw up the line deep in Loughborough territory. Ryan Robbins the pacey forward latched onto a loose ball on halfway and drove hard towards the home goal. Robson very nearly stopped the ball with a great reaction save to his left but couldn’t prevent the ball trickling over the line.

Steels responded with high energy and stretched the away sides defences on numerous occasions but couldn’t find a way through until Coleman popped up at the far post after good work down the right from Wiles and Lemon. The ball was delivered perfectly to the far stick where Coleman chest controlled and fired in a right footed volley that Charlie Taylor, the away keeper, was glad he couldn’t get a hand to it.

Half Time: SPS 2 – 2 Loughborough Dynamo

The second period started with the away side on the front foot, long throws, free kicks and corners into the box that were largely ineffective against a resolute Steels defence, indeed, Steels came into the game for longer spells as they carefully assessed the stick or twist scenario at 2 - 2.

On 72 minutes steels bright football was rewarded with a penalty kick when Morris was clumsily brought down in the box.

Coleman stepped up and fired the ball home wide to Taylors left side and into the net. Taylor can feel unlucky he didn’t keep the ball out with a terrific diving attempt but the power was just too much.

Loughborough continued to press but it was pretty much direct and lacked choreography, although a few last ditch tackles were the order of the day for the Steels back line, one in particular from Fielding stopped a certain goal from 10 yards out.

Steels can be delighted with another three points as they edge towards safety.

Hard work, endeavour and a collective will to win attitude has certainly helped turn the corner for a buoyant and resilient Steels outfit.

Full Time: SPS 3 – 2 Loughborough Dynamo


Eco-Power Environmental Stadium, 

Bracken Moor Lane, 


Sheffield, S36 2AN.                                                   

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon